Lagaan 2001 Hindi movie
Lagaan is a Bollywood Hindi movie. Lagaan is a Drama film. You can watch full HD Indian movie Lagaan online or in cinema after its release date which is 15 June, 2001.
Release Date: 2001-06-15
Movie Type: Drama
Movie Lagaan Poster
Lagaan Movie Cast
* Aamir Khan as Bhuvan (Carpenter, Captain and All-rounder). Ashutosh first thought of having Shahrukh Khan and Abhishek Bachchan for the role of Bhuvan. After Bachchan chose to enter cinema with J. P. Dutta's Refugee (2000), Aamir was approached with the idea.
* Gracy Singh as Gauri. Several actresses had offered to act in the film, but Aamir needed someone who matched the description of the character given in the script. After considering Sonali Bendre, Nandita Das, Rani Mukerji and Amisha Patel for the role, Ashutosh selected Gracy Singh for the female lead because he was convinced that she was a good actress and dancer and resembles to actress Vyjayanthimala. Singh, a newcomer, devoted all her time to the film.
* Rachel Shelley as Elizabeth Russell
* Paul Blackthorne as Captain Andrew Russell. Since the script also demanded a British cast, Ashutosh and Aamir hired Danielle Roffe as one of the casting directors. After Danielle and Ashutosh screen-tested many, Rachel Shelley and Paul Blackthorne were chosen for the prime roles. Overall, the film cast 15 foreign actors.
* Suhasini Mulay as Yashodamai, Bhuvan's mother
* Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Raja Puran Singh
* Raghuvir Yadav as Bhura (seamer), the poultry farmer. Yadav played the role of the Legendary Haji Nasruddin in the Teleplay by the name "Mullah Nasiruddin" and also has given many a memorable performances such as Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne. Yadav was selected based on his performance in Earth (1998). He had undergone an appendicectomy operation in-between the filming schedule and returned to complete some of his scenes.
* Rajesh Vivek as Guran (seamer), the fortune teller. Vivek was spotted by Ashutosh in the film Junoon (1978). His liking for cricket helped him in his role.
* Raj Zutshi as Ismail (batsman), the potter. Zutshi's friendship with Aamir and association in several films brought him the role after the auditions.
* Pradeep Rawat as Deva (all-rounder), a Sikh sepoy. Rawat's association with Aamir in Sarfarosh (1999) brought him the role of Deva which was initially intended for Mukesh Rishi. Rawat claimed that it was the highest ever compensation he received in his career.
* Akhilendra Mishra as Arjan (batsman), the blacksmith. He is insulted by Captain Russell, as he fixes horse-shoe on the Captain's Horse and involuntarily hurts the animal. Captain who is enraged by the reprimand he received from his seniors for arranging a Cricket Match with the villagers for avoiding taxes, is furious to find his favourite animal hurt and he beats Arjan. After which Arjan joins the team of Bhuvan. Mishra has acted as "Ekku" Kroor Singh in the Teleserial Chandrakanta and also in the film The Legend of Bhagat Singh (2002) as Chandrashekhar Azad alongside Ajay Devgan who performed the role of Bhagat Singh.
* Daya Shankar Pandey as Goli (seamer), the man with the largest piece of land. Pandey, who preferred the role of Kachra, was known to Aamir and Ashutosh through previous films (Pehla Nasha (1993), Baazi (1995) and Ghulam (1998)). Pandey credited Ashutosh for his acting in the film, saying that Ashutosh and he would discuss the required emotions and expressions before shooting.
* Shri Vallabh Vyas as Ishwar (wicket-keeper), the vaidya (doctor) in the village and Gauri's father.
* Yashpal Sharma as Lakha (batsman), the woodcutter. Sharma was chosen by Ashutosh after his portrayal in Samar (1999). He said it was a good experience working with Aamir and Ashutosh during the film.
* Amin Hajee as Bagha (batsman), the mute drummer. Hajee earlier worked in a film with Ashutosh. The friendly association brought Ashutosh to him with the script, which he liked, and thereafter he successfully auditioned for his role. His knowledge of mute people and some assistance from a music band helped him better prepare for his role. Ashutosh, who believed that Amin was like Sylvester Stallone, would refer to him as Stallone during filming.
* Aditya Lakhia as Kachra (spinner), the untouchable. Lakhia's association with Ashutosh in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (1993) and Pehla Nasha (1993) brought him this role. He read the book Everyone Loves a Good Drought by P. Sainath to better understand and portray his character.
* Javed Khan as Ram Singh, Indian who works with British and helps Elizabeth in translating villagers language.
* A. K. Hangal as Shambu Kaka
Lagaan Movie Overview:
Lagaan (Hindi: लगान; English: Land Tax) is a 2001 Bollywood sports film written and directed by Ashutosh Gowariker. Aamir Khan, who was also the producer for the film, stars with Gracy Singh in the lead roles; British actors Rachel Shelley and Paul Blackthorne play the supporting roles. Made on a budget of ₹25 crore (US$5.07 million), the film was shot in an ancient village near Bhuj, India.
The film is set in the Victorian period of the India's colonial British Raj and revolves around the peasants from a barren village who are oppressed by high taxes imposed by their rulers. They attempt to persuade the British officers to reduce the taxes because of poor agricultural produce. Instead, a wager is offered. If their village team beats a British team in a game of cricket, their taxes for three years would be cancelled. After accepting this wager, the villagers face the arduous task of learning an alien game and playing for a result that will change their village's destiny.
The film received critical acclaim and awards at various international film festivals, as well as many Indian film awards. It also became the third Hindi-language film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film after Mother India (1957) and Salaam Bombay! (1988). It was one of the biggest box office hits of 2001 while its DVD sales were the highest ever for a Bollywood film up to 2007. In 2010, the film was ranked #55 in Empire magazines "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema". In 2011, the film was listed in Time Magazine's special "The All-TIME 25 Best Sports Movies".
Lagaan Online, Lagaan full movie, Lagaan trailer, Lagaan videos, Lagaan songs, Lagaan highlights, Lagaan story, Lagaan release date